Wednesday, August 17, 2011
I am so blessed to live where I do. We live about 3 miles from one town and 2 miles from another. Still close enough to run in when we need something, but far enough away that we don't have all the commotion bombarding us all the time. Our little 1/2 acre plot sits on the edge of an 80 acre field belonging to one neighbor and the acreage across the road belongs to another neighbor. We can see both neighbors' houses, but they aren't close enough to even yell to the neighbors. We hope one day to own some of the land around us, but for now, the owner has no plans of selling it to us. It seems that we are in his way and the quicker that we move on the better. We've been there 17 years this past May, and rebuilt after the tornado in 2003...we have no intentions of ever leaving. I'm not sure why, but it seems that we have always been the outcasts there. I'm guessing it is because we aren't true "farmers." We don't raise cattle and we don't plant crops. We don't have a fancy house, big barn or any huge farm machinery. We do love animals, the smell of fresh plowed fields and the sound of field grasses blowing in the wind. We love to watch the cranes and geese at the ponds on the land around us, and nothing beats the sounds of bull frogs, crickets and locusts as night falls. If you've never seen millions of fireflies dancing in an open field you are missing something that money will never be able to buy. Even if we never get to be "real" farmers...I'm gonna be here until I die.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment