Pages

Sunday, July 4, 2010

4th of July

I started out today making blackberry cobbler and cottage cheese salad for dinner at my parents house. This is going to be a strange 4th.  None of my kids want fireworks!  I don't think in all of my 38 years that we have ever not done fireworks!  Caitlyn says that she knows it's the 4th and knows what it means, but it's a waste of money to buy fireworks...hmmmm, I may have contributed to this thought...financial brainwashing maybe??  I tried and tried to get them to get sparklers, snap pops, confettii shooters or little rockets...but...NO... they didn't want any!  I'm just not sure how to think about this.  My younger sister and her family went to a friend's house, so we didn't even have the whole family together this year.  We have Shirley and Harold staying at mom's this year from California.  They've been in town for about 3 weeks now.  The family cookout and fireworks we have had for the last 5 years at my parent's property had to stop because there are just too many cows out there now...it just seems like things are changing too much.  Our dinner at mom's was great...you just can't beat hamburgers and hot dogs.  The kids swam for a while, Zack went home with Stacy to help mow her yard, Josh came home with me and we went out to feed cows...Troy went to the hospital to visit a friend that just had a baby...not much excitement.  I tried again to just get a few fireworks for tonight...it didn't work.  We saw a few displays from a distance around our house, but that is about it.  All in all, it was one of the strangest 4th's I've ever had, but we were all together.....that's what counts! Caitlyn and Zack went upstairs to bed, Kyle and Josh fell asleep watching Tom and Jerry on the hide-a-bed, Troy and I went to be with no kids, but still had all the dogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment