Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Wow, Time Flys!

It's amazing how fast time goes by!  It's nearly been a week and a half since I last posted.  The light situation in the barn seems to have helped some...we haven't lost any more poultry from the yard.  We did however lose another turkey hen that had just started sitting on eggs.  So, we've lost 3 of my 5 turkey hens.  A few nights back, Caitlyn saw the raccoon at the water tub with the goats, and then again on a tree stump.  We set the trap and a couple of days later, we caught the huge raccoon.  I have a problem killing them, so we relocated him away from our property.  Hopefully, he won't find his way back.  Our two remaining turkey poults fly very well now and will not stay in their pen.  I'm not sure if the last hen lost was their momma, but I'm pretty sure it was.  They have taken up with one of the other hens and have started roosting on the roof of the barn with her.  I am continuing to collect the eggs from the nests that I find to keep from losing another hen when she starts to sit.  Last night, I reached to collect the one egg in the nest only to find a huge black snake also there.  I screamed and it spit out an egg and disappeared into the grass.  Thank goodness I hadn't gotten to the point of touching the egg...I probably would have passed out if I would have grabbed the snake instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment