Well, I got a little relief from worry. Troy found momma turkey and her 3 babies. I searched for a while last night with a spot light trying to find her and never did. I had pretty much decided that she had became food for some other animal. It's really getting old losing so many animals. Another plus, Troy called after feeding to tell me that an egg was hatching in the nest boxes with no momma sitting. Pretty sad that it is hot enough that the next box provided an ideal hatching environment without a broody hen! She had done most of the job, however, but had left the nest a few days before. He brought the piped egg in and put it in the incubator. By the time I got home, it had hatched and was nearly dry. I've got to spend the time to get the new incubator put together. I have collected about 18 turkey eggs that have been laid in multiple places in the field behind the house. Our neighbor is pretty close to baling hay behind us and it would be terrible to lose a sitting hen to a tractor!
We were able to make it back to Atwoods this morning for some 75% off trees. We bought 2 cotton less cottonwood trees that are nearly 15 ft tall. Total cost....$6.25 each! Now, the task is to find a place to plant them that the goats aren't able to reach!
No comments:
Post a Comment