Pages

Friday, June 11, 2010

Zack's truck had a flat tire, so last night, we left it at storage.  This morning, he was stuck riding with me and his brother and sister.  I think he's planning on having his tire fixed today.  He's been so busy working on his tractor that his truck has been ignored...lol.  It was a pretty normal morning.  Dad was out of town and mom had a doctor's appointment, so Zack and I were responsible for milking and feeding.  I lost my temper with Zack after an incident with Belle.  I'm not sure if it is just a male thing or what, but the tendency to force something to happen just because you want it to frustrates me.  I guess there is a possibility that I overreacted, but an animal that is placed in our care is our responsibility...they are totally dependent on us.  We have to follow their lead and read their actions and then react. The whole situation could have been avoided if Zack had been patient.  I'm guessing that is difficult for a 16 year old to grasp...just not sure.  Some things just have to be learned from experience.  So....as a result, I walked away from Bessie...still with the milker on.  I had gotten so distracted with the other situation, that I forgot to lock the head gate of the stanchion.  And...what does Bessie do when she is done eating???  She leaves the stanchion...still attached to the vacuum hose...still wearing the milker...geez.  It scared her when she got to the end of the hose, she jerked and the milker fell to the ground.  Thankfully, it landed right side up.  I was able to get the strap off of her and get her untangled.  At this point...I'm not happy, but ok.  I let the girls out to the field and accidentally let one of the bottle babies out with them.  Of course, it was the less cooperative one. After 15 or 20 minutes, Caitlyn, Kyle and I had her rounded back up and in the fence.  I continued to fix the bottles and then handed one to each kid.  They walked up to the calmer two calves and gave them the bottles...I got stuck circling the impossible calf, trying to get her into the barn.  I'm not sure what it is about her, but as soon as she is in the barn, she will turn and take a bottle...she just likes to be difficult I guess.  Finally, we finished...I was wet with sweat and sticky with milk...nice.  Zack didn't speak much to me today.  One part of me feels bad for getting upset, and the other part knows that he has to learn that actions have consequences.  All in all, we all ended up fine.  Zack installed the starter on his tractor.  He had been waiting impatiently on it to arrive for almost a week.  He is anxious to get it actually running.

Caitlyn has been trying to come up with something to create and sell on Etsy, so after work, we made a trip to Hobby Lobby.  I hope that she is able to find something that she enjoys to do that makes her a little money also.  She has so many creative ideas and I'm not sure she is able to zero in on one...she may have to try them all!  Troy detoured on the way to work tonight to look at a 1998 Dodge Neon for Caitlyn. She is so much harder to find something for. Zack's deal just seemed to fall in our laps...Caitlyn's is taking a little more work.  We now only have 6 months to find a car before her 16th birthday. She's been upset that Zack had his earlier than we are getting her one.  It really has nothing to do with it being for her.  Finances are a little different than they were 2 years ago...things are a bit harder now.  Just one more thing that kids just have a hard time understanding.

Time for bed...I'm tired and my body hurts. Zack is staying at mom and dad's, he has a shoot this weekend in Marshall, MO.  Troy is already working...Caitlyn is in bed and Kyle is waiting on me to finish this....

No comments:

Post a Comment