Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Momma Turkey Disappeared...



We've had such beautiful weather for this time of year.  The animals are all confused.  We normally don't have turkey hens trying to sit until the first part of April. I've been watching momma turkey for a few days now...since I caught sight of her outside the fence.  I followed her to try and see where she has set up a nest.  Unfortunately, I think she has a nest in the woods across the field from our house.  She let me watch and follow her all the way there and back to the yard, but within an hour, she was gone again.  I couldn't find her this time. Tonight, she didn't come back to roost.  Turkey boy isn't happy at all.  He's not used to being alone.  He has paced all evening gobbling and then listening for her to answer back...and she doesn't.  It's sad.  Last year, every morning she would come back to the yard to eat and drink...I'm hoping she will do the same this year...at least then I will know that she hasn't been found by some predator.  We'll be watching for her somewhere around April 10...when she brings babies home.

No comments:

Post a Comment