Saturday, May 29, 2010
Saturday!!
What happened today??? I woke up just after 5am. Why? I have no idea, and wasn't very happy about it either. It did give me more time to take care of all our animals before leaving to milk Daisy and Belle. To my surprise, our second momma turkey had hatched a 3rd poult and our 3 silkie mommas had hatched a 4th chick! I found later in the day that one of the chicks had died, and the newly hatched chick had been beat up on pretty bad. I've had it in the house with me for several hours to make sure it's still able to eat and drink by itself. At dark, I put it back with a momma. I'm sure she does a much better job keeping it warm than I do! Hopefully by morning it'll be going strong. If not, I'll bring it back in the house and probably set up the brooder. The new momma turkey has moved her brood to a new location...AHHH! I'm panicked at this point! With acres of chest high grass behind our property...and hay baling season here, I'm thinking that I may never find her. I did though...up against our fence by the corner post. These girls can figure out how to fly out, but can never manage to figure out how to fly back in. Enough about animals. Troy and I finally were able to buy plants for our garden. At the rate we are going, we may have tomatoes by October! I seriously hope it is earlier than that. We found pink and regular brandywine tomatoes, cucumbers, cantaloupe, black diamond watermelon and okra. We still have peas and green beans to find. I was hoping to find plants of those started already, but because we are late, there isn't much to from as far as vegetables go. We may have to try other locations when time permits, or just start from seed. We bought a few flowers also to fill in our flower bed. I keep telling myself that they aren't a necessity, but they sure do make the day a bit brighter. I'm excited to get started, and can't wait for that first garden tomato!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment