Sunday, May 16, 2010
Still Raining...
From the way things look outside, I'm guessing if April showers bring May flowers, then May showers just bring more mud! I'm pretty sure at this point that we won't have grass in the back yard this year...almost all mud now. The turkeys, goats and chickens outside have been drenched for days. This morning we I woke to Troy coming home from work. I'm beginning to think that 6:30am gets earlier and earlier every day! While feeding this morning, we found that we've lost my last buff polish hen to something in the night. We have had so much lost in the last few months. Last Saturday, we came home to find one of our turkey hens missing...remains were located in the field behind the house. She was sharing a nest with another hen and they were sitting on 39 eggs...no eggs left now... Thursday, I went to check another nesting site to find that all but one egg was gone. At last count there were 14 eggs there. It's just not a good Spring for poultry! I've since decided to collect the eggs from that nest to incubate. We are assuming due to the condition the remains are left in that we aren't dealing with a raccoon or oppossom this time. Troy is thinking that it may be a fox. The field grass behind the house is so tall at this point, that pretty much anything could get right up to our fence and we wouldn't even notice. We brought the trap back home from my parents property, hopefully we'll catch something. Troy is concerned that whatever it is will need a bigger trap.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment