After work, Caitlyn and I ran in Walmart. When we left, they were announcing on the radio that Jasper County was under a tornado warning. It was cloudy out, but nothing unusual. We live about 7 miles from Walmart and I had left Kyle at home. By the time we pulled out of the parking lot, the wind picked up and the rain started. All they kept saying on the radio was if you are on 43, 171 or 96 highways...take cover. So, I panic...Zack was leaving storage, Troy was leaving work, I was with Caitlyn leaving Walmart and Kyle was alone at home...right smack in the middle of all those highways! I called Kyle and told him that if it got bad out there to get in the bathroom and sit tight that we were on the way home. He said that it wasn't doing anything there and that he was fine. Now, having been through losing our house in the tornado 8 years ago on May 4th, I don't cope well with storms. By the time we made it to 43 and 171, we could barely see to drive. We knew Troy was headed home and that Zack had made it to Mom and Dad's house, but I couldn't get back ahold of Kyle. About halfway home, the cars were all pulling over. We were in heavy rain and hail. And...we still couldn't get Kyle. Sirens were sounding and we were right in the middle of the warned area. Our driveway never looked so good! We got in the house...and I found Kyle sitting quietly on the toilet...perfectly content. He had no clue there were warnings...just that the rain started and was pouring in under the back door. Never again will I leave him alone...well, just not until he's older. Troy pulled in shortly behind us and the rain had already stopped. The yard was dotted with hail, some the size of large marbles. I survived without too much panic..thanks to Caitlyn...my personal "get a grip" coach.
We were supposed to be back at work to feed at 7:30pm. Just as we were loading up to go, Troy hollered for us to look out back. We watched a front move across the field and hit the back of the house. It was pretty spooky to watch, but didn't last long...thank goodness! The barn has been blown over, and the roof has been blown off so many times, that for now, it's covered in a tarp. Soon, we'll burn it down and replace it with something a more secure and a lot more pleasing to look at...it's a bit of an eye sore now.

No comments:
Post a Comment